Friday, June 22, 2007

Day 49; Thur June 14 2007

(Stud) Today was a zero day. Because there are so few retail businesses in Independence, we took a local bus to Lone Pine at 8 am. It's not a big town either but their main street is thriving even if only 6-7 blocks long.

Our "to do" list included: doing laundry, going to the library to use the internet, buying a new filter for the water pump and new fanny pack and socks for Dwight (he left a brand new pair of Smartwool socks drying on a bush and remembered when it just wasn't worth it to go back and the fanny pack has a broken zipper), a Father's Day card for my dad, groceries for the next section of trail, some basic fishing stuff for me (to try my hand at fishing in the Sierras where trout are supposed to practically jump on your line). And of course we also wanted to eat. We accomplished most of these things and even managed to work in a visit to a small museum on local mining history. Dwight couldn't find a suitable replaement for his fanny pack--so we bought a zipper and seam ripper and I replaced the broken zipper when we got back to our hotel room in Independence. It's not the neatest sewing job, but the new zipper is functional and Dwight is happy with it.

While waiting for the bus back to }ndependence, we hung out in the local saloon. It was 4 pm in the afernoon when we got there and it was just us, a couple of locals and some very load music on the jukebox. The female bartender was very entertaining--and it's possible she'd been into the hooch herself.
Dinner was at the only open eating establishment in Independence--Subway. I can't believe how much I'm eating these days. I ate so many ribs last night I set a PR. At Subway I ate a whole meatball sub, a supersized lemonaide, a half bag of freetos (and we're talking the large bag you get at the grocery store--not the single serving size) and 3 cookies. It's possible I may gain weight out here.

No comments: