Monday, June 4, 2007

Day 36; Fri June 1 2007

(Dr Bug) Got out of camp at 6am today. It was about a three mile hike to the spring. I however got distacted by a mico size spring before then. I spent about 10 minutes trying to determine if the seapage of water was filterable. It was not. I moved on. STUD moved on ahead of me. When I reached the running spring, STUD had stopped and left. I hurried to get water and only filtered 1.5 liters. Later when I caught up to STUD she reminded me we had 16.3 miles to the next water source. 1.5 liters was not enough, I would pay for this mistake the rest of the day.

We hiked through some big wind farms and pine and juniper forests. It got hot in the late morning, but by afternoon, cloud cover had cooled the day. None of this mattered because all day I obsessed over rationing my water. The terrain became highland grass lands and we saw cows for the first time in weeks. Eventually around 7 pm we got to Robin Bird Spring. We got fresh, clean, cold water and ate dinner. Rejuvenated we hiked for another mile and found a great stealth (hidden off the trail) camp site. I got points from the wife because the site was in pine needles. The wife says, 'no more sleeping in the dirt'. We hiked 22 miles today.

No comments: