Friday, June 15, 2007

Day 44; Sat June 9

(Dr Bug) Started hiking at 6:30 am. Very cold, water was frozen. Temp was 39 degrees. Used my extra pair of sox for gloves in the morning, worked well. First 2 hrs was up hill; glad we stopped at the bottom of this climb last night. The treadway was very sandy at times. Rocks, sand and sequoia trees. The vistas are beautiful. We see meadows and huge mountains laced with small traces of snow. Ate lunch at a primative coral near a meadow. Ate dinner by an alpine lake called Chicken Springs Lake. There were three peak baggers there from the Sierra Club. We ate with them. They were the first people we have seen all day.

From devils canyon to chicken springs lake was about a 20 mile day. We are now into bear country and need to start seriously hanging or hiding our food. Sue was angry with me today because I planned poorly and we will probably run out of food be we get to Independence.

I have shoes from the Kennedy Meadows mail drop. They are not working well. The sand is rubbing my toes raw. I should be happy because we are in the Sierras, but I am not.

No comments: