Sunday, June 15, 2008

Day 10: Saturday, June 14

(Susan) We left Durbin shortly after 7am--all was quiet; nothing open here at this time of day.

The ALT joined up with the lightly used North Fork Rail Trail--which followed the north fork of the Greenbrier River. Very pretty along here--we had it all to ourselves--save a deer who bounced along like it was on springs until it bounded out of view.

After about 4 miles on the rail trail we forded the river in water that didn't go above the lower calf. Slippery--but we took it slow and had no problems--except bushwacking around on the other bank to find the trail.

The trail meandered around a bit (D thought whomever laid it out was doing crack) then headed up Shavers Mtn through endless thickets of stinging nettles and other prickley stuff. AAAAARRRGGG! We took a break for lunch and put on long pants--and the nettles still made it through. When I could take it no more, I bushwacked up a nearly vertical embankment through rhodo thicket, pine trees, and assorted plants about 100' to a road bed. I couldn't see it from the trail, but I could hear cars now and again and was pretty sure the trail followed it for a while. Ironically, the last 5 or 6' up the embankment was, you guessed it, stinging nettle. But I was ready for it. I had big stick in hand and went postal all over it. Dwight initially said he'd meet me where the trail crossed the road came scrambling up after me. First I saw his hiking poles dig into the side of the road, then he popped up after them. "Did you consider discussing that move with me?", he said a little irritat!
ed. I plead Temporary Insanity.

Did I mention it had been dizzling off and on? Not long after we left the road and rejoined the trail, we went though a virgin stand of Red Spruce. A beautiful all-to-brief section. The trail was both well used and well maintained there. Unfortunately, we were soon back in the big stands of stinging nettle--and slogging along when the skys opened up. We were within a mile or so of one of the few shelters on the trail and went there to wait out the rain. We have decided to spend the night--even though we only got in about 13.5 miles today. Tomorrow--several more miles of wet stinging nettles to get off this crazy mtn!

No comments: