Thursday, July 5, 2007

Day 52--Sand in my shoes; Sun June 17 2007

(Dr Bug) I envision the PCT as a desert; 90 percent sand. It is a desert which is 2,665 miles long and 12 inches wide. Little rain, little top soil, mostly sand and dust. This is kind to your feet because it is soft and relatively level walking. But sand and dust are quiet demons as it gets between your skin and sox and wears at your skin like sand paper. This has consistantly been the most problematic aspect of this hike. Two or three times a day take your shoes and sox off and try to clean everything of sand and dust. Use new clean sox every day, or every other day. North of the high Sierras the sand is, at times, being replaced by lava dust. The dust is not as destructive, but more persistant. At times open abrasions appear at the bottoms of my toes, in the heel, and at the top of the feet where dust and sweat come to rest. I'm also impressed how quickly my feet heal.

These days I'm a man who walkes 10 to 12 hrs a day. I guess this is part of the job.

No comments: